Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Best (and Worst) of London Fashion Week

London Fashion Week is always an eventful few days. We know what to expect from some designers, we don't know what to expect from other designers (but in a good way), and then there's what we never expected. Not in a good way.

I like to make a point of what I don't like in fashion. These days it seems like people are scared to say that something wasn't great, even if a multi-millionaire designer decided it was. Like anything, fashion is open to opinion. Whilst some people like dreary, frumpy dresses (I'll explain later), some people, like myself, do not. I'm not afraid to say if I think something looks horrendous, and I would love to see more people shouting out about things that don't tickle their fancy. Step over that line of 'praise conformity' and criticise (it's much more fun).

 
To avoid sounding like a miserable fashion-phobe, I will tell you about the collections I LOVED first of all. One of my all time favourite designer brands, Burberry Prorsum, cease to disappoint me. I don't think there was one outfit in this collection that I didn't like, and there was a vast amount that I would love to own myself. They gave us classic heritage with a reinvented, modern twist. The trench was of course in their line-up, but it had been given a plasticised make-over. The prints throughout the collection were great; the heart shaped one will no doubt be sprinkled across the high street for autumn/winter.
 
 
Animal print is still in (yes!) This coat is just...amazing. Giraffe print on a classic style trench with belt. Knock a few zeros off the price and I'll wear that all winter long.
 
 
This stunning outfit is from Antonio Berardi's collection. The cobalt blue is the first attraction, and the spot print the next. The cuts and shaping are also stunning; the smooth curves and wide sleeves complement each other brilliantly. The collection was filled with innovative tailoring, structured capes and panels of contrasting fabrics.
 
 
L'Wren Scott is a new designer to me, who made a very good impression. The collection was stylish and glamorous, feminine with punch. Another vibrant blue shade made it's appearance this time accompanying gold. This outfit of a fitted pencil skirt and blouse suggested sexy work wear for an independent woman.
 
 
This dress is beautiful. It has a goddess look about it with its extravagant neck piece and Aztec looking pattern. A true catwalk piece and no doubt a red carpet dress for the coming year. 
 
So to something more barmy than beautiful...
 
 
This is by Giles Deacon. The wonderful Giles Deacon. Yet, it has me speechless. I may be the only person willing to criticise this collection, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to think it's bordering on vile. (No, I don't think that's too harsh.) The hat. THE HAT. There were lots of them, all big and knitted and in colours reminding me of certain Simpsons' characters' hair. Then the dress. I guess it's not terrible, but I don't like the satin sleeves. If you think this is bad, you don't want to see the Miss Haversham-esque dresses and dreary prints. But if you do, you can see them here.
 
 
 
Okay, this is a risky one to put out there, but was anyone else a bit disappointed with Rihanna's long-waited-for collection for River Island? Well I was. It was just a bit dull. It seemed like we had seen it all before, but a lot better fitted, and with a bit more imagination. Yes, I agree it does have a visible 'Rihanna' influence (very little fabric involved) but I guess I was expecting a little more from her. Then again, she is just a singer, NOT a fashion designer. So here is her jumpsuit, which to me looks like something a mechanic would wear. That is all.
 
So there were my faves and not so faves of Fall 13 collections at LFW. I hope I haven't stepped too far over the line and encouraged Rihanna-related death threats in the next few hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment