Saturday 7 April 2012

A Point of Inspiration

Designer inspiration is essential when designing. After getting initial research, ideas for mood and colour, and getting trend forecasts, I move onto looking at recent designer collections for further input. If you have read my previous post, you will know I am looking to design for Spring/Summer 2013; a smart/casual collection that I can see fitting the tourist market of holiday makers.

Burberry Prorsum (sorry if you are getting bored of me talking about them, but their designs never fail to impress) are the first port of call, as for Spring/Summer 2012 they quite rightly remembered their British background and designed an appropriate number of parkas and lightweight jackets into their collection.



The jackets are quite casual and over-sized, but are teamed with fitted skirts and tailored pieces that give the right balance. Bold prints and stripes are also scattered through the collection, which would look great for a 'traveller' style that's easy but stylish. The colour palette is also great; the orange and mustard colours are great accents against the duller khakis and browns.


Secondly, I looked at Issey Miyake; great designer, but also I just like saying his name out loud a few times because I like how it sounds... The pattern cutting here is more innovative, creating new shapes and lines but keeping the contrast between tailored and sporty styles. Lines are slanted and generally curved, making the collection softer and more feminine. I love the little jacket; the three-quarter length sleeve keeps it light and would be perfect for a cooler spring day.




Lastly, Michael Kors recent Spring/Summer collection links directly to the safari-like trend for next year. The camouflage colour palette is clear, mixed with animal prints and skins. Lightweight jackets and ponchos are teamed with original cargo shorts and buttoned shirts. The wrap-over skirt is great and fortunately carrying through to next year. I like the idea of tiering and layering which will become central when I begin designing. And now to the hard part...




No comments:

Post a Comment