Sunday 5 February 2012

The Importance of Marketing

Currently we are working towards our photoshoot, where we have the opportunity to professionally get one of our final collection outfits photographed for the purpose of advertising ourselves prior to our catwalk show in June. Without thinking too much into it, it seems quite simple. A model. Hair and make-up. A man who knows what he's doing with a camera. But it seems through a week of research, there is a lot more to it.

Hair and make-up has to fit the style of your collection. It has to compliment, but not distract from the clothes; it needs to look different, but not over the top. Flicking through Vogue this week has proved that getting inspiration for the hair and make-up I want is really difficult! Plus with only one shot of getting the 'perfect' image that will sum up my collection, there's a lot of pressure to get it right. Essentially, it will be the image that pinpoints me as a Fashion graduate and what employers are either going to be drawn to, or be put off by. Looks like I better get it right...

Poses. By this I mean how the model is positioned in the photo. Standing, sitting, lying down, looking away, looking at the camera, arm up, arm down?? Far too many options, but again it's essential to getting the ideal marketing image. It is about creating a story; if you saw the image you would know what the collection is about, what type of woman would wear it, her age, personality, hobbies... A couple of ads that are successful at this in my opinion are for Giorgio Armani and Mulberry's Spring/Summer collections.



The way the woman is standing in first image collates a feeling of sophistication and serenity; she creates mystery by looking away and the hat covering part of her face suggests she has something to hide. Okay, maybe I'm looking into it a bit much but can you see where I'm coming from? Mulberry's seaside image is fun and cute - it fits with the pastel colour palette of the relaxed floaty maxis and casual outdoor macs for those spring showers. Perfect story, perfect marketing tool.

Well I hope I have informed you all on the in-depth process that is preparing for a photoshoot! I have to admit it is only in the last week that I have realised all this myself so feel privileged to have joined me in this revelation. Next time you find yourself flicking through a magazine full of adverts (really annoying I know), you can now think to how much time and effort was taken to create them!

No comments:

Post a Comment