Wednesday 6 June 2012

That BIG issue of what to wear...

So after the hectic goings on this weekend in London (photos from Free Range will follow soon I promise), I was reminded that I'm lucky enough to have a two week placement at New Look's Buying department at the end of the month! Very excited, but understandably a little nervous. I need to make a good impression, and part of that is going to involve how I'm dressed. For those with fashion-related placements or interviews, it's important to look smart, but still express a love for fashion and a unique style that portrays your personality. So that's when I had a minor panic. What on earth am I going to wear??

It doesn't feel right wearing jeans - too casual. My holey leggings are a no-no (it's only a little hole I promise), and I think I'd feel somewhat self-conscious on the tube in some short-shorts and a vest top...Then there's the issue of floaty skirts; everything in place and looking wonderful, until you meet that cheeky blast of wind and boom! dignity is nil. Flat shoes? Not smart enough? Heels? Can I pull them off? I've had limited experience of heels on the Underground, and although to this day there have been no heel-stuck-in-escalator issues (touch wood), I don't know if I'm comfortable enough to do it on a regular basis...However I do need to get the practise in for when I'm the next 'Carrie Bradshaw', hmm...

So I took to some online browsing to find a few key pieces that will get me, and maybe some of you, through any summer placements or interviews.





Love this pink blazer from H&M; I've been desperate for one for ages, and I feel now is the time I invest in one for the summer months. It's smart, has a light-hearted summery feel to it, and only £24.99. (It comes in several colours if you're interested). The chinos are from New Look; tapered and sharp, and will pretty much go with anything.




The floral blouse is also from New Look, and something that's not only interchangeable but the colour palette will work through to the Autumn months. The next blouse is classic Zara: simple and sophisticated.


Fallen in love with this H&M dress; the A-line silhouette is classic and flattering, and the print is modern and classy - something I think would create the right impression (will let you know how I get on...)

So to the shoes. My first pick are the safer option, a pair of tan moccasins from Republic at £24.99. They're cute, but more importantly comfy, especially for when you're going to be on your feet all day. The next are from New Look again (I love New Look, okay!), and are the most sensible wedges I could find. With a nautical theme that you can never go wrong with in my opinion, and a height on the not-too-high-but-not-too-low level, I like them.

So they were my top finds. Not sure if that's helped you, but it's sure made me feel a little better. Now to the difficult part - actually finding this stuff in the shops...What? I'm a try-er on-er!

No comments:

Post a Comment